Solaris - Marsbéli Krónikák (The Martian Chronicles) CD (album) cover

MARSBÉLI KRÓNIKÁK (THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES)

Solaris

Ivan_Melgar_M
Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars One of my top 5 albums from the 80's

I always believed that one of the most important aspects in a miusical work is versatility, I'm tired of listening bands that have one sound and all their songs sound as if they were cloning themselves, well SOLARIS is the opposite, but most important, they are not only versatile but also coherent and their music flows perfectly, something that boosts the merit.

Their debut "Marsbéli Krónikák" is a perfect example of what Prog was meant to be, even when they fit more comfortably in Symphonic, the album presents us an incredibly beautiful and fluid mixture of several genres which go from the expected Symphonic, to Folk, Electronic and even Psych Space, but also good old Rock & Roll.

When we listen read the names of Robert Erdesz and Attila Kollar is logical to expect that this virtuoso musicians are the center of the band, and even when their performances are crucial, there's not a weak point in the formation, each and every member gives is best, from the official members, to the guests and even the people recruited to make the wonderful choirs, something not so common in Prog bands where virtuoso musicians are so important.

Despite this fact, it's clear that the keyboards and flute are the visible leaders of a well oiled machine, because the music is clearly Synth oriented and the flute adds that unique touch that became SOLARIS trademark, but I recommend to play special attention to the acoustic guitar passages by "Istvan Czigman" which are absolutely breathtaking and also to the impeccable rhythm section....Well, better play attention to the whole band, because I couldn't find a weak spot.

Being ."Marsbéli Krónikák" (Martian Chronicles) a conceptual album based in the famous "Ray Bradbury novel, I won't dare to make a song by song review, because the album must be heard and discussed in it's integrity, being that only in that way it makes sense.

So, if SOLARIS presents us solid composition, flawless performances, versatility and coherence, is evident that we are before one or close to a masterpiece, but if we also remember that "Marsbéli Krónikák" is without doubt one of the top ten albums of the 80's, there's no other alternative than to rate it with 5 stars.

Ivan_Melgar_M | 5/5 |