Utopia - Swing To The Right CD (album) cover

SWING TO THE RIGHT

Utopia

Evolver
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars I was looking forward to Utopia's political take on the Ronald Reagan era. But as much as I might have agreed with the politics, I was severely disappointed.

The songs on this album are various styles of bland techno-pop. Yep, Utopia at this point had barely any trace of their progressive roots. Here and there, mostly in Roger Powell's keyboard parts, we hear vague inklings of what might have been a progressive idea, but nothing breaks through.

Maling the album slightly worthwhile is a spirited version of The O'Jays' classic For The Love Of Money. Other than that, skip it. The only thing progressive here is the politics.

Evolver | 2/5 |