Limbus 3 & 4 - Mandalas CD (album) cover

MANDALAS

Limbus 3 & 4

Krautrock

Dobermensch
3 stars Limbus 4's one and only outing is a bit of a tuneless dirge for its 37 minute duration. Primal sounds permeate throughout 'Mandalas', with lots of clay pots being thwacked as dreary vocals chant in the background. Not exactly what I'd term Krautrock...

Still, it's a hell of a lot better than the even more hidden and impossible to find Limbus 3 - now that was a REAL downer.

I guess the front cover could sum things up better than my rambling. It looks like it sounds. 'Mandalas' tries the native American Red Indian approach to creating music but it falls somewhat flat. Free-form acoustic percussive laments is about as good a description as I can muster.

'Plasma' - the last track, has lots of more tuneless moments - this time in the form of stringed instruments similar to Tangerine Dream's 'Genesis' on 'Electronic Meditation' .

'Mandalas' is okay, but you really have to be in the right mood for an album like this particularly with those damn kazoos ringing in your ears. For originality alone I'll give this 3 stars rather than the two it probably deserves.

Don't expect a pub knees up while listening to this one.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |