Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

Anthony H.
5 stars Yes: The Yes Album [1971]

Rating: 9/10

It is on this album that Yes finally found themselves musically. After exploring many different styles on their first two albums, Yes discovered their niche within the emergent genre of symphonic progressive rock. The album contains everything that makes Yes so great: balanced interplay between instrumentation and vocal delivery, amazing musicianship, skillful composition, and epic songs.

"Yours is No Disgrace" is a roller-coaster ride of pounding rhythms and soaring keys. Steve Howe, having just joined the band, shows his talent here. This song's bridge contains one of Anderson's greatest and most soulful vocal performances. "The Clap" is a short acoustic instrumental that is yet another testament to Howe's talent. "Starship Trooper" is another epic. There's more excellent acoustic guitar in the middle here, and the conclusion ("Wurm") is one of the finest moments on the album. "I've Seen All Good People" opens with a well-known vocal mantra. The first half of the song is dominated with Anderson's wonderful vocals; this is also the first time in the band's career that Squire shows himself to be an excellent backing vocalist. The song then transitions into a heavy rocker focused on Howe's guitar and the vocal mantra. I've always considered "A Venture" to be an underrated gem, particularly because of the excellent short piano solo at the end. "Perpetual Change" closes the album in an epic fashion. The jazzy middle-section of this song is particularly excellent, along with its energetic conclusion.

I grew up on this album; I fondly remember listening to it in my dad's car and playing air guitar to it as a six-year-old. The album has a lot of emotional relevance to me, and I've been able to appreciate it more and more with time. This album is essential, even though Yes would continue to get even better in the years to come.

Anthony H. | 5/5 |