Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

Anthony H.
5 stars Yes: Close to the Edge [1972]

Rating: 10/10

Rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace, bro.

Writing the 438th review of this album seems like a somewhat fruitless endeavor. Everyone who knows the slightest thing about progressive music is well-acquainted with Close to the Edge. Outside of a small group of naysayers, this album is generally considered to be one of the greatest progressive recordings ever, if not the greatest. I happen to agree. CttE is majestic, timeless, beautiful, profound, stunning, emotional, breathtaking, and also pretty good.

The title track is Yes's first and best side-long epic. It begins and ends with bird noises, and has some other stuff in between. These things include: a gorgeously frantic intro with amazing guitar and cacophonous keyboards, an abstract middle section with church organ, one of Wakeman's greatest solos (I air-keyboard to it every time), and a powerful conclusion featuring some of Anderson's strongest moments. The album's second side begins with "And You and I", a song that always manages to strike me. Beautiful harmonics from Howe on a 12-string acoustic guitar lead into one of Yes's most emotionally resonant compositions. "Siberian Khatru" is the most rock-orientated song on the album, with impressive guitar work and an excellent harpsichord solo.

Close to the Edge is easily in my top-five albums of all time. I've been listening to it since my childhood, and it only grows more brilliant each time; it will always move me. This is an album that reminds me why I love music so much. Heaping such excessive praise on an album that has already received such tremendous accolades seems pointless, but CttE deserves it. It's a perfect masterpiece and is absolutely essential.

Anthony H. | 5/5 |