Rush - Rush CD (album) cover

RUSH

Rush

Gorloche
2 stars As reviewers, our job is not just to chime in with our learned opinions on various pieces of music, but also to push things that people might not know, either to warn them away or encourage them to check it out. We don't do any good offering opinions on things that are rather established except to further dialogue of previously decided musical stances. That having been said, I have a day off from writing, and I intend on spending it reviewing every RUSH album in order because, well, I own them, love them, and I can.

This album is easily the weakest album of Rush's career. It doesn't have the worst songs (that would go to TEST FOR ECHO in my book), it is just that the songs offer nothing new. There are moves pinched from THE WHO, LED ZEPPELIN, and BLACK SABBATH, as well as bits and pieces from more progressive hard rock bands like DEEP PURPLE or URIAH HEEP. The closest we get to the Rush sound is on "Working Man," with its insist groove and inventive take on progressive hard rock. All in all, though, I wouldn't recommend this over any of Rush's other albums, even Test for Echo.

This is the perfect two-star album: It offers good songs, but really should only be picked up if you either like their early period or just want to check out how they started. Not a bad purchase, so not one-star quality, but not necessary.

Gorloche | 2/5 |