Marillion - Misplaced Childhood CD (album) cover

MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

Marillion

dubovsky
2 stars Boring and very pop-oriented

I felt that I should give this album a shot. I always love discovering a late era prog band that leaves a very remarkable impression on me, just like Birds and Buildings had recently. After the first few songs, I stopped listening. TOO much synthesizer usage, and you can tell that it was very much influenced by the 80s pop and disco music that was going on at the time.

Overall, disappointing because I've been hearing many good things about the album, and found nothing impressive at all. I guess I can appreciate some of the limited level of musicianship present. I looked at their live performances maybe expecting something better than what I just heard and no hope. To me, this album lacks a level of soul. I mean, I'm not attempting to hate on Marillion, they are a decent band; script for a jester's tear is way better than this in my opinion, but after watching some live shows of the songs from this album, it just didn't do it. I was hoping to find something more significant in their live media as opposed to their studio version, attempting to find something less clinical. Like, Gentle Giant's performances are WAY WAY better than their studio albums, but this just wasn't the case for Misplaced Childhood.

dubovsky | 2/5 |