Queen - A Day At The Races CD (album) cover

A DAY AT THE RACES

Queen

friso
3 stars Queen - A Day at the Races (1976)

Queen is one of the few bands that almost all people seem to like. Some like them for their up- tempo classics, some for the amazing vocals of Mercury, and others for their intelligent song- writing. And though Queen has many high-quality songs, they have few albums that can be called flaw-less. A Day at the Races is one of those albums, it has only two real slip-ups.

Tie Your Mother Down is a classic glamorous rocker, You Take my Breath Away is an intense ballad, Somebody to love a classic hit with an original approach, White Man a strong rockin' political effort, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy; yet another very intelligent classic and the strong ending 'Les us Cling Together. An impressive list of good songs, but I've skipped Long Away, Millionaire Waltz, You and I and Drowse. These songs are of less interest to those who are interested in the sophisticated song-writing and great arrangements of Queen.

Conclusion. Perhaps I'm having a bit of trouble with giving a decent rating here. Queen definitely is prog-related, but their glamorous approach is sometimes a bit to cheesy for me. Somehow I don't feel like this is very important music for collectors of music per se. Three stars, but a very strong classic rock album with a lot of their 'hits'.

friso | 3/5 |