Patrick Moraz - The Story of I CD (album) cover

Patrick Moraz

2 stars I really, really wanted to like this album when I first bought it, I thought Yes' "Relayer" was so good and that Patrick Moraz had made such a great contribution to it (I'm a big Wakeman fan but he could not have brought the same electric, frenetic-jazz style as Moraz did), but despite repeat listenings it just didn't gel for me. The story of "I" has a sort of "Logan's Run" theme to it, and is a concoction of different musical styles. Maybe Moraz was trying a little too hard to show off his undoubted ability; some South American/ Latin themes here, some jazz there, etc etc., but it's all too bitty and inconsistent; it just never really gets going. There is a very high level of musicianship, the concept is ambitious, the music is complex and adventurous...but, I still don't like it - it really doesn't have that extra spark to excite me. Sorry Patrick!

Interesting fact about Moraz that I read; he injured his right hand when young so learnt to use his left as his "main" hand which adds to his speed/versatility;

Phil | 2/5 |