Rush - Rush CD (album) cover

RUSH

Rush

batman_freek
3 stars Rush's debut album! I'm a huge fan of both prog and classic rock. I personally love this album because it's rockin' but it's not very prog, so I'm giving it 3 stars from a prog standpoint. Another note is that Neil Peart had not yet joined the band so while the drumming certainly isn't BAD, it is fairly plain.

"Finding My Way" - When I first heard this song I thought to myself, "I thought this was Rush, not Zeppelin!?" It's a great tune, however, but is pretty straightforward. A great rock song but not a great prog rock song. --- 6/10

"Need Some Love" - A great rocker but clocking in at only 2:19. A very straightforward, more commercial song. Certainly not prog but that doesn't mean it's bad. --- 6/10

"Take a Friend" - The non-stop rockin' energy continues! This song is great but, again, it is another song that certainly doesn't show any prog signs. --- 6.5/10

"Here Again" - This song slows the tempo down a bit from the previous songs. Clocking in at 7:34, this is the longest song on the album. --- 6.5/10

"What You're Doing" - This picks up where Need Some Love left off - more high adrenaline rock. Nice echo effect on Lee's voice although a bit annoying at times. I haven't been listening to prog for a very long time but I know that this isn't it. --- 5.5/10

"In the Mood" - More high adrenaline music. Yet again, no prog to be found. --- 6/10

"Before and After" - This is probably the closest to prog that Rush comes on this album. It starts as a slower song which gives way to some high adrenaline rock. The second best song on the album IMO. --- 7.5/10

"Working Man" - The one song on the album that sounds like the Rush we all know and love. A great solo by Lifeson. Probably the most recognized song on the album, as well. The single best song on the album IMO. --- 8/10

| 3/5 |