Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse CD (album) cover

MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

The Crow
3 stars This is, in my humble opion, the weakest Opeth's album. The main problem I have with this record is that the songs are very similar between them: April Ethereal, Whem, Karma... The songs of this album have a composition and structure very resemblant, what makes this album some dull and boring sometimes. It's repetitive, and "My Arms, Your Hearse" is the only Opeth's work that sounds repetitive for me...

In addition, the sound of the drums is bad, same with the bass... It's obvious that Mikael he isn't a bassist, because he plays the bass guitar in that record, and it sounds very low and with a wrong sound... Same with the acoustic parts, too dark and sometimes unispired.

Nevertheless, I don't consider this a bad album at all, because although it's repetitive and with a weak sound, songs like the great Demon Of The Fall and Creedence are pretty good, same with the Prologue and Epilogue. And here we can see an anticipation of "Still Life", in some guitar riffs and the fantastic choirs like the song When.

I think this is a totally transition album, when Opeth suffered the lack of a bassist and a weak production, but it's still having great moments...

The Crow | 3/5 |