Up There: The Clouds - 2011 EP CD (album) cover

2011 EP

Up There: The Clouds

Post Rock/Math rock

colorofmoney91
2 stars Post-rock is a genre that I normally am incredibly bored listening to. It's usually just the same monotone soundscapes, and all the bands associated with the genre play all the same notes in the same way.

But, this actually isn't all that bad. This band, Up There: The Clouds, adds some dynamic variety to their music that 80% of all post-rock bands reject entirely. It's quiet, and then it gets heavy. It's slow, and then it gets fast. And they actually know how to play their instruments, what a progressive quality for post-rock!

My main gripe with this EP are the vocals. I've never been a fan of the modern emo-whine vocals that a lot of bands have started using over the past decade, but the vocalist doesn't sing all that much on this EP. Both songs are roughly the same to me, but the point should have been made apparent by now that I don't really have an ear for post-rock.

This EP was good for a few listens, and I'd suggest it to post-rock fans for being better than I consider post-rock to be, but maybe some better and more interesting things will come from this band in the future.

colorofmoney91 | 2/5 |