Deep Purple - In Rock CD (album) cover

IN ROCK

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

HarryTon
5 stars One of my all time favorite band; and a good way to introduce myself in ProgArchives reviews.

In Rock is an album that shows the effects of changing vocalist and bass player. I have no doubt about considering Ian Gillan one of best voices in rockīnīroll history; but on the other hand I am not a so much musically skilled guy in order to compare Nick Simper with Roger Glover. But more than this, In Rock marks the leaving of a lighter period and the beginning of one of the most brilliant hard rock band I have ever heard.

The album opens with Speed King; a song that represents hard rock at its best. The guitar riffs are heavy, but it is softened by Jon Lordīs Hammond organ pleasant stamp. Gillan sings it very fast with a voice that perfectly matches song īs need. Rhythm section does a good job, although I think it only cares about giving place for guitar-organ-voice expertise of their colleagues.

Bloodsucker is not a beautiful song, but Ian Gillan saves the day. Child In Time is a highlight; everyone is at the top of their musical performance. The climax that foregoes second soft part of the song, drum conducted, is very much well place by Ian Paice, maybe the best piece he had ever made with the band.

Of the other songs, Flight Of The Rat is one of my preferred one, it is a hard rock anthem as good as Speed King, although not so much known. Living Wreck is other favorite of mine, due to bass lines of Mr. Glover in its instrumental parts. The other two songs are good, but not so memorable songs.

Five stars, even with three no masterpiece songs. But the others and the moment of album release makes it deserve this rating

HarryTon | 5/5 |