Black Sabbath - Paranoid CD (album) cover

Black Sabbath

4 stars The one with the fluorescentninjatrafficwarden...

Sabbath's second outing not only went on to become a cult classic, but also a founding father for the entire metal genre.

The Good: I will admit I haven't always liked this album. In fact I used to hate it. Having being introduced to Black Sabbath through their Dio era recordings I found the vocals here be crude, and the songwriting mundane. However, after revisiting it several times it quickly started to grow on me and now has reached the stage where I would put it on par with Heaven & Hell! The A-side features more classics than you can shake a stick at, as well as some diversity in the form of the Camel-esque Planet Caravan. Whilst the B-side is admitting not as strong, it still holds its own and there isn't a weak track in sight.

The Bad: At times Ozzy's singing can get a little too grating. Oh, and the cover art looks like it was drawn by a toddler on LSD.

The Verdict: Over 40 years old and still as fresh as a titanium daisy.

Starhammer | 4/5 |