Tasavallan Presidentti - Still Struggling For Freedom  CD (album) cover

STILL STRUGGLING FOR FREEDOM

Tasavallan Presidentti

Eetu Pellonpää
5 stars I attended the concerts from where these recordings were done, and they were very important events for me, as I never thought I could see my favorite Finnish band from the past actually live. I also like Frank Robson's voice more than Eero Raittinen's, so their earlier line-up is also more close to my heart.

The songs are constructed in a basic jazz-rock style, with sung verses in the beginning and the ending, and the middle parts are for the improvisational interplay of guitar and saxophone or flute. There are some sections for bass and drum soloing too, but the rhythm section plays in a more traditional way, creating the space for the two main solo tenor instruments. The starting track "I Love You Teddy Bear" is the best version they have managed to play from this "hit ballad" of theirs, and it surely is a lovely song. I also think that many of the versions here are much better than on their early studio albums, as most of the players have now over 30 years of playing experience. I also prefer live music instead of studio works, so this record hits quite directly to my personal preferrences.

Sadly their cover version of Frank Zappa's "King Kong" is not presented here, perhaps because of copyright issues. (The singer played keyboards on that song.) Some tracks which they performed from albums "Lambertland" are also not included, as I think they were not working as well for Frank's voice than Eero's, who sung on that album. What a great album to cherish the memories of those evenings, hear experienced musicians to play, and thus recommended warmly!

Eetu Pellonpää | 5/5 |