Mizukagami - Mizukagami CD (album) cover

MIZUKAGAMI

Mizukagami

Prog_Traveller
4 stars Pretty obscure but pretty good.

Mizukagami are a modern Japanese symphonic prog band who released this, their self-titled debut in 2003. Evidently, the group's members were formerly in a band called Pediment. Since I am not familiar with any Japanese prog bands music I can only guess as to what who this band is influenced by but I would say that they could very well consist of 80's Japanese symphonic prog bands such as Outer Limits, Mugen, Providence, Pageant and others.

The music on this disc is very much modern symphonic progressive with very little if any hints of neo prog. That said there are probably some strong hints of 80's Japanese symph prog. The ultimate source of inspiration I imagine comes from the seventies prog legends and you can hear elements of Camel and Genesis and to a lesser extent even King Crimson and Yes. This album is jam packed with symphonic embellishments including that classic wall of keyboard sound. There are some great synthesizer leads on here too. In fact there are a few moments on here where things get very wild and intense and it is moments like these that make me glad I am a prog fan since they are well worth waiting for and make an already very fine CD like this all the more interesting.

I must also point out that there is a female vocalist named Tanaami Futaba who also plays the flute and it is these passages more than anything that remind me of early Genesis or Camel. Of course, the presence of a female vocalist inevitably draws comparisons to Renaissance but I doubt they were much of an influence except where maybe the vocals are concerned. By the way, the vocals are in japanese but that shouldn't deter anyone from checking out this disc since musically it's very strong.

Overall this is a very varied and very interesting symphonic prog disc with lots of twists and turns from this very promising recent Japanese band. Highly recommended.

Prog_Traveller | 4/5 |