Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

MattGuitat
5 stars The album that put Rush on the map! This is truly one of the great prog albums, even matching Brain Salad Surgery, Selling England, and (yes, even) Close to the Edge. How it is not in the top 20, let alone the top 100 is truly an unspeakable crime.

The title track is perfect. It just is. From the beginning Overture, through the Majestic finally, it tells one of the greatest stories in prog. All sections are great and just as good as anything else in the prog world. Side 2 ain't bad either. Bangkok is actually a really good rocker (about a funny little oriental plant!) and the Twilight Zone describes episodes from one of my dad's favorite shows. Lessons"s unquestionable highlight is Alex's kick-ass solo, one of his best from the early period. Tears took me a while to get. Only lately have I realized that it is actually kinda nice. Finall, Something for Nothing. This song truly kicks ass (sorry for my slight vulgarity). The middle part is the best, but the rest of the song is still great.

As with most of Rush's releases, this one is nearly perfect. 5/5