Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York CD (album) cover

LIVE SCENES FROM NEW YORK

Dream Theater

Valarius
4 stars With the success of 'Scenes from a Memory' firmly placing Dream Theater where they always belonged, at the top of the Prog world, the next step was clear, to take the entire concept album on tour. And so they did, and in the process they released this stellar live album.

A sonic tour-de-force of Dream Theater music, the band shows no mercy here as they bombard an unsuspecting New York audience with over three hours of excellence. Besides the entire SFAM album, with some added extras thrown in, the band then go on a journey through their past albums. After playing all three parts of 'A Mind Beside Itself' from the 'Awake' album, most bands would have called it quits there. But not Dream Theater. They then play 'Learning to Live', such an epic song to close a set with. But no! That's still not enough. The band choose to squeeze in one last tune, which just happens to be the 20-minute 'A Change of Seasons'.

As you would expect from Dream Theater, this entire set is full of musical virtuosity, demonstrating a chemistry never before seen in a band. Each instrumentalist here is a true monster at what they do, with the only true weakness coming from vocalist James LaBrie. I'll give him his props, he was going through some well-documented throat problems at the time, which kind of hinders his voice and at times makes it pretty hard to tolerate, but for the most part it doesn't stop him from trying, and more-often-than-not he delivers the goods.

Surprisingly I'm giving this album four stars. I'm not the biggest lover of live albums, as I usually prefer the crisp, clear sounds of a studio recording, and at times I feel the sound isn't as perfect as it should be. That's not to say it's bad, but there's nothing to inspire me to listen to 'Live Scenes...' instead of any of the studio albums the tracks originally appear on.

With that said, this three-disc set seems to have won the fans over, and despite my four-star rating, it's encouraging to see so many others give it the five-star rating it deserves. A true beast of live music, this belongs in the collection of all Dream Theater and Prog Metal fans.

Valarius | 4/5 |