Bo Hansson - Ur Trollkarlens Hatt CD (album) cover

UR TROLLKARLENS HATT

Bo Hansson

friso
2 stars Bo Hansson - Magician's Hat (1972)

Bo Hansson is a Swedish keyboard player/composer who made a lot of instrumental music during the seventies. His music is distinctive and recognizable, relaxing and slightly symphonic.

Hansson his music is perhaps best described as the anti-catchy, anti-climatic and directionless little brother of 'Mirage' era Camel. The music is mostly atmospheric with laid back musicianship (yet professional) and endless long notes. I especially invented the word anti-catchy for Hansson, because I want to point out that he is capable of writing many themes, but none of ever leave something behind. You can listen to this record without remembering a single melody. The music sounds passive, but it's atmospheric approach would make it suitable for sound-tracks. I perceive this album as an endless musical ride in which Hansson doesn't seem to go anywhere and compositions rarely evolve into a meaningful whole.

Now, this has been a rather negative review, but I must say; the record does have a soothing, almost folky effect. The atmospheres keep on coming and there aren't any unpleasant moments on this record. Furthermore, the link between cover-art and music is good.

Conclusion. A simplistic, yet soothing symphonic prog record that lacks meaningful compositions but does have a lot of atmospheric tracks. I can only recommend this to fans of Hansson distinctive approach. Two stars.

friso | 2/5 |