Camel - Moonmadness CD (album) cover

MOONMADNESS

Camel

Starhammer
3 stars Dromedarific...

This album was my first introduction to Camel and was recommended to me by a friend as 'the British equivalent of Rush!'. I still have no idea what they'd been smoking when they made that comparison, as the band's similarities are minimal. It was about 30 seconds into the synth- driven Aristillus that I realised this wasn't A Farewell to Ye Olde Kings.

The Good: Much lighter and spacier than Mirage, Moonmadness has an almost dream like quality to it. Of the individual tracks Song Within a Song and Chord Change are two of my favorites. Both are quite slow to get going but then have some really cool breakdowns. And then there is the album finale... Lunar Sea. Wow. Every time I listen to this I'm just blown away and I'd probably rate it one of my top five instrumentals of all time. From the windswept opening to the erm... blustery closing(!) this track is truly captivating and the rest of the album just pales in comparison.

The Bad: Whilst the intro to Another Night has all the hallmarks of a classic, not much happens after that. Air Born and Spirit of the Water have a similar story but without the banging opening.

The Verdict: Bit of a mixed bag.

Starhammer | 3/5 |