Jordan Rudess - Notes on a dream CD (album) cover

NOTES ON A DREAM

Jordan Rudess

Starhammer
2 stars Too much of anything...

The Good: Works well as both background music and something more engaging. Also the three new pieces are pretty cool, my favourite being The Grand Escapement.

The Bad: I like Jordan Rudess' music in general and enjoy this album a lot. However, I cannot justify awarding it a higher rating as I think the only people that will appreciate this are fans of both him and his band. When all's said and done it's just some DT classics with intermittent interpretive flourishes and unless you are already familiar with these songs you may soon tire of this single instrument album. If this release was merited on technicality and musicianship alone it would be five stars for sure but given the PA guidelines I feel it only reaches two.

The Verdict: Still worth checking out.

Starhammer | 2/5 |