Bass Communion - Ghosts on Magnetic Tape CD (album) cover

Bass Communion

Progressive Electronic

3 stars Ghosts on Magnetic Tape sounded intriguing to me. I don't believe in ghosts, but they usually make for a great concept.

Unfortunately, with this album, I found myself losing interest quite quickly. Ghosts on Magnetic Tape is dark ambient, like Lustmord, but much more minimalist and, honestly, a little bit creepier. I do enjoy some dark ambient (much more so than happy ambience), but this album is not engaging at all. The electronic portion of this album consists of dark and airy drones and resonances that are barely audible sometimes, and they fade in and out of the soundscape. There are some field recordings incorporated into the mix, created from various areas and maybe even possibly authentic ghost communication recordings from a seance. The field recordings mixed with the electronic soundscape really does make for a highly atmospheric album, soundtracking your nightmares, but I personally just can't get sucked in by it or enjoy it at all. For the ambience that I enjoy listening to, this album is just too ambient.

After being satisfied with Bass Communion (I), I have to say that I will continue listening to Bass Communion in hopes of finding similarly pleasing music that I can be sucked into, enjoying all of the soundscape in its entirety with out becoming restless. I'd recommend Ghosts on Magnetic Tape to fans of Lustmord's chillest music.

colorofmoney91 | 3/5 |