Marillion - Clutching At Straws CD (album) cover

CLUTCHING AT STRAWS

Marillion

toroddfuglesteg
5 stars In my view, one of the better prog rock albums of all time and by a large margin; the best neo-prog album of all time.

Marillion returned after the massive success of Misplaced Childhood which sold a zillion copies, filled out stadiums and made Marillion the big name. It would had been easy to write and record Misplaced Childhood # 2 while they were on the top of the surf. But to their eternal credit; Marillion did not do that. Instead, they released this dark masterpiece called Clutching at Straws.

At this time, Fish had some personal problems (substance/alchol related) which ended with his departure from the Marillion line up. A departure which probably saved his life, according to some media reports. These problems though runs like a river through this album. The title of this album says it all. Clutching at Straws....... we have all been there. I also believe most of the songs here are in that vein. I believe because I have not checked up on the Marillion/Fish facts lately. I am not sure in other words. But Clutching at Straws is one heck of a darkened album and far too dark for the tight confines of the neo-prog genre. This album has resonated well with me since I bought it a few days after it's release and it has become a dear friend. Which says a lot about me, btw......

The songs are all almost perfect and in the masterpiece class. The album is dark, but it also has a lot of lights, shadows and grandeur. Most of all; all songs are absolute great. Yes, the music here also sounds like early Genesis too. Another plus in my book.

Fish does a wonderful job on this album and really gives it the identity it got. The rest of the band is great too.

For me; this is one of the very rare five stars albums. As simple as that. It is also a dear friend to me.

5 stars