Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday CD (album) cover

Uriah Heep

4 stars I just finished reviewing 2 poor Uriah Heep albums from the 80's so now I deserve to reward myself with a review of a classic Heep album. From 1972, it's THE MAGICIAN'S BIRTHDAY, one of my favorite Heep records along with DEMONS AND WIZARDS and LOOK AT YOURSELF. A true example of hard/rock/psychodelic/prog. Can't beat tunes like "Sunrise", "Echoes in the Dark", "Tales", and the wonderful "Magicians Birthday". The only weak moment is "Spider Woman", but it only lasts a bit over 2 minutes in length, so no big deal. As close to a 5 star as the Heep gets. This is Uriah Heep at the top of their game with their classic lineup intact- Thane, Kerslake, Box, Byron, and Hensley. I do not have the CD with the bonus tracks so I can't speak to their quality. 4 solid stars. I still haven't decided if I like this or DEMONS AND WIZARDS more, tough choice.
mohaveman | 4/5 |