Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

Starhammer
4 stars "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control."

After their previous attempt at writing longer songs resulted in a commercial facepalm the band ignored all their critics and went for broke...

The Good: My first exposure to the title track was through the compilation album Chronicles. As it only featured the first two sections (Overture/The Temples of Syrinx) I was eager to listen to the whole piece. I was still at the very start of my musical journey and had never listened to anything longer than ten minutes, sitting through a single track of over twice that length was just something I was unable to comprehend at the time. I seized my chance when I noticed 2112 in a CD shop on holiday and hurried back to where we were staying. I was too impatient to wait till we got home before listening, so played it using a portable DVD player and a pair of headphones that had all the fidelity of a tin can attached to a piece of string. It blew my mind. I must have listened to the whole album at least five times that day alone.

Several years have passed since then and I'm now able to see it in a wider musical context, yet it still holds strong. The sheer scale of the composition, its structure, and most of all its character lets it stand shoulder to shoulder with even the most complex prog epics, and is light-years ahead of the rough and ready efforts released on Caress of Steel only one year earlier.

The Bad: The Twilight Zone and Something for Nothing don't have much going for them.

The Verdict: The birth of a dynasty.

Starhammer | 4/5 |