The Mars Volta - Amputechture CD (album) cover

AMPUTECHTURE

The Mars Volta

Mellotron Storm
3 stars I thought this was worth taking a chance on despite the mixed reviews. Besides I knew if I didn't like it my daughter would be happy to take this disc off my hands. For me it doesn't measure up to the first two albums in fact it's not even close.There are two tracks in "Viscera Eyes" and "Day Of The Baphomets" that really blew me away, and if the rest of the album was even close to sounding like these tracks i'd be praising this to no end. Others have explained the differences between this record and the previous two but for me the bottom line is that this one lacks the insanity, those exaggerated mood swings if you will.The opening and closing tracks are similar in that there isn't much in the way of dynamics making them both long listens.

"Tetragrammaton" is the longest tune and they do contrast the more laid back sections with the more intense sections throughout but it's almost too predictable. I do like the guitar before 8 minutes and the floating organ before 13 minutes though. "Vermicide" just doesn't do anything for me and i'm surprised at how mellow "Asilos Magdalina" is. Again those two tracks I like are killer (love the horns) and I hit the repeat button on those two but overall I can't give this more than 3 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |