Magma - Mkank Dstruktẁ Kmmandh CD (album) cover

MKANK DSTRUKTẁ KMMANDH

Magma

Zeuhl

Alitare
4 stars Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh ? 1973 (4.1/5) 12 ? Best Song: Don't make me choke you. Okay, so Da Zeuhl Wortz Mekaniw rules immensely All hail Krreuhn Kormahn and his Theusz Hamtaahk! May his Kobaian tribal chanting live long and forever into the imperial realms of inner and outer special existence! Hurdaaa Kahhka Delicwhiw! Contraflibsti hewww! Herr mon fii lii zzilllo vahnaaa dillenew! I don't know what the hell I'm blabbering on about. But I do know that Magma took the boring, extended Gregorian war-march chanting that was so boring and gave us more extended Gregorian war-march chanting that isn't as boring, and there are even electric guitars in it!

What a mess. How do you rate a piece of music that is supposed to represent a war-torn journey so far removed from contemporary humanity that it seems impossible to relate with? I suppose I'll have to do for Vander what I had to do for Jon Anderson with Close to the Edge ? pretend that the incoherent nonsense was actually deeply meaningful, and pay full attention on the musical aspect, instead. Even that is difficult, though. Whether or not I praise the group in all their manifestations, I could never deny their originality or conviction. I don't know who is the primary creative vehicle, but because the only name I've been able to attach myself to all these years is Christian Vander, I'll assume that without him, the group wouldn't have gotten one song complete (I know I'm wrong, go ahead and prove it to me).

The electric guitars are soft and chiming behind the wall of terrorizing opera vocals (both male and female this time) on 'Kobaia Iss De Hunden'. Another fabulous habit you'll find within the vocals (aside fom practically everything involved) is how each song will start slow, barely boiling, working toward a near-orgasmic climax. I also must say that the shorter song lengths and more concise album format only add to the intrigue of the record, making it my favorite so far.

Alitare | 4/5 |