Jefferson Airplane - Long John Silver CD (album) cover

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

Alitare
3 stars Long John Silver ? 1972 (3/5) 10 ? Best Song: Aerie

And thus the band has been fully taken into the hard rock groove. I'm alright with that, I enjoy me a little female-led, acidic and biting hard rock from time to time, but isn't this a little silly? As soon as the bigger bands release a smash with the likes of self-positioned, introspective wonders and all that, the band decides that they just have to follow up with lots of electric squeals and long-winded mantraic howling? You know, to make everything seem as if it's super-important. Now, the version of this album I have is some of the worst quality MP3 encoding I have ever witnessed (the entire album coming in at less than eight megabytes, where a normal album of this size is sixty to onehundred). It didn't do much to affect my enjoyment of the album (but as a defense I'm slightly overrating it, anyway.)

The big highlight is 'Aerie', which is a serious, professional rock song. I can see where Heart got one tenth of their influence (the other 9/10ths were of course Led Zeppelin), but were all those meandering electric violin lines necessary? I don't think so. Long John Silver is also incredibly one-trick-pony land. It's exciting, but Grace's voice feels smooshed together, like she isn't given the chance to spread out. This can be most easily seen in the clumsiness of the verses on 'Milk Train'. In all, I can't argue that the band had a consistent output, but I don't really care about it, to be frank. They'd exhausted all their truly engaging material by 1967, and the rest was just wagonhopping.

Alitare | 3/5 |