Queen - A Day At The Races CD (album) cover

A DAY AT THE RACES

Queen

Alitare
4 stars A Day at the Races ? 1976 (3.6/5) 12 ? Best Song: Somebody to Love

Night at the Opera had a sequel, didn't you know? It was released the very next year, with a strikingly similar album cover, and the titles say it all, don't they? They were interconnected records intended to be taken together as a sort of two-pack. I can see that, what's more classic era Queen when it gives you a good time? Well, it is a good time, but is it an amazing time? Who knows. This swirling torrent of circumstantial existence in which we organically reside is an objective world, and our silly, inane opinions are anything but objective. They're, well, opinions, for lack of a more scientific term for it. I could be like Prindle and just replace any words I don't like with references to genitals. That works, though, because he's a funny son of a bitch most of the time.

But I digress, isn't 'Tie Your Mother Down' just a snappy hard rocker that hearkens back to their first couple Cds? It does, doesn't it? It's the same general stance on music as the previous release. It's a series of hard, metallic rock songs with heavily processed and overdubbed vocals paired next to Brian May's dirtily thick guitar tone that comes in at the right times, but I often ge the feeling he was a underappreciated member of the group. The songs are much longer in general, where as Night was a series of very short pop songs with Prophet song and Bohemian Rhapsody jutting out for miles, Day is a series of more fluidly rolling songs, losing much of the playful atmosphere and in its place is a serious attempt at solid melody writing. 'Somebody to Love' is the big hit, and I love the song, but personally I have difficulty enjoying 1960's pop tributes like 'Long Away'. The piano also plays a much larger role than before, almost coming off like an Elton John cd, which, based on his quality output around this time, isn't really an insult. I just have a few issues with the song's melodic sense. They attempt being more serious, but 'You and I', along with a few others, comes off sounding particularly aimless. Still, it's another fine album that surprised me. I half expected coming into this and hating the band even more than I did before. Perhaps I've grown soft.

Alitare | 4/5 |