Dropshard - Anywhere But Home CD (album) cover

ANYWHERE BUT HOME

Dropshard

Any Colour You Like
3 stars There comes a time when every artist must forge their own path. Some do so better than others, some struggle, some seem to do it naturally. Italy's Dropshard are one of the newest prog metal artists on the horizon. Their debut album 'Anywhere But Home', released in 2011 shows immense promise and musicality, however it is also a flawed release for several reasons.

I'm not going to go into too many negatives here, for overall, I was more than impressed. However, I cannot help but feel that they wear their inspirations too close to their own chest. Now, I admire those who have an appreciation of the classics, both past and present. But it's another thing follow their lead. You could draw parallels to Dream Theater, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Genesis here... it's fairly obvious where Dropshard draw their inspiration from. As I mentioned before, this isn't bad as per se, but shows a natural youthful naivety. One cannot be too harsh, after all, many of the compositions here are wonderful.

Now that's off my chest, let's get down to the music itself. Many of the compositions have mighty symphonic overtones, making use of classic 'prog' tones mashed in with modern metallic edges. The vocals and lyrics are wonderfully expressive, complemented by dynamic and challenging instrumental orchestration. Indeed, on more than one occasion the melodies developed are beautiful to the point where impulsive body movements become mandatory. I do feel that the guitar (especially on the solos) was mixed perhaps a bit too high for my liking - there is more going on here than just the guitarist showing off, but it can be a bit overpowering. The keyboards and synths are very good, perhaps the strongest suit in the album. Furthermore, the rhythm section carries the album very nicely without any real dramas.

There is a lot to laud here, make no mistake; but I must espouse that the base sound of Dropshard will need some refining if they are going to forge their own path. Whether intentional or not, their musical creativity should be capable of speaking independently, not simply as a rehashed neo clone.

Any Colour You Like | 3/5 |