Until Sunrise - The Elysian Fields CD (album) cover

Andy Webb
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Pastures of atmospheric calm

Elysium Fields is the newest single by the young Maryland-based post rock band Until Sunrise. Comprised of a pleasant and slow crescendo through the entire track, it has a nice feeling and a nice atmosphere. I've stated numerous times I'm no fan of post rock; the music, in my opinion, is usually a boring waste of sonic energy, comprised of relatively repetitive ostinatos with tremolo guitar picking as an excuse for "ambient guitar." However, this song is a slightly pleasant surprise. Although this has a similar formula as most post rock, there are little things added in to the song, such a nice piano theme in the middle and a nice crescendo into a dramatic and releasing burst of energy. Overall, while still a typical post rock track that I'm not all that fond of, this single is a good output (and has great production, which is not seen on their debut) by this young band. 3 stars.

Andy Webb | 3/5 |