Ritual - The Hemulic Voluntary Band CD (album) cover

THE HEMULIC VOLUNTARY BAND

Ritual

sussexbowler
2 stars This is not the Ritual of the past. The present incarnation seems to produce music not disimilar to Gentle Giant.This makes it more technical than aesthetic, so it doesn't keep me warm.

Anyway, I reckon that this album is pretty much only about the first two tracks, because after that the focus and quality fall. The 'Hemulic voluntary band' and 'In the wild' are really interesting, complex and catchy. the next three tracks fell more medieval than contemporary, and this holds little appeal for me.

The last track, 'A dangerous journey' lasts some 26 minutes, and yet involves a painstakingly slow, brooding and repetitive build up, culminating in... well, not enough really. It's certainly no classic.

Because I downloaded the album at a reasonable price, I'm not too disappointed by the result. It was always a risk in terms of taste, despite me really liking one of their earlier albums. It didn't pan out this time because their style has changed. I enjoyed the first two tracks though.

sussexbowler | 2/5 |