Yes - Yessongs CD (album) cover

YESSONGS

friso
2 stars Yes - Yessongs (1973) * live

This is Yes' celebrated triple live lp from '73 with an almost perfect track-listing. The artwork is well done by Roger Dean. Now, the fact that the track-listing of a live album is this good is rare, but that doesn't make ths a great live album at all.

From the first moments I'm listening to the sound of the recording is very annoying an what's worse; Yes plays even less controlled then on their studio albums. Somehow it sounds like the band has intense haste and all members seem to have trouble keeping up with the others. The result is a chatoic performance that doesn't improve the studio-versions of each song at all. Some moments of relaxing music and concentration on playing tight would have done a lot of good here. The vocal performances are good, but the multi-vocals don't impress me to much. Sometimes they are really problematic.

Conclusion. A live album that I wouldn't recommend at all to any-one who is not a hard-core Yes-fan and has sensitive musical hearing. I myself get a headache every-time I try to listen to Yessongs. Two stars.

friso | 2/5 |