Gryphon - Raindance CD (album) cover

RAINDANCE

Gryphon

Prog Folk

Frankie Flowers
4 stars 'Raindance' is an inspiring mix of all the influences used on Gryphon's other three albums, plus a new blend of rock. The compositions are shorter, apart from '(Ein Klein) Heldenleben' which is a main highlight. It contains some powerful guitar and synthesiser solo passages that remind many listeners of Yes' style.

The other tracks show that the band are ready to try out virtually everything. 'Down The Dog', for instance, opens on a funky note and works very well. The title track is a real gem with its peaceful, sparkling keyboards. I love the rain sounds and tranquil flute in the background. And bless these lads for doing the pretty Beatles' cover 'Mother Nature's Son' too. This is one of the most stunningly melodic folk songs I've ever heard and the recorder solos here make it all the more effective and magical.

There are some touches on French folk with the subtly hilarious 'Le Cambrioleur Est Dans Le Mouchoir'. I really like the sly acoustic guitar on that number. 'Ormolu' has more playful acoustic work and interesting clock-work percussion that can't be traced to any particular style.

In all, this is very joyful and inventive stuff. It's particularly nice that no two subsequent Gryphon albums actually sound the same: for a band with such a short lifespan, this is a great achievement. I personally love all of Gryphon's studio efforts, although I still haven't heard the last album "Treason", which I believe to be an entirely new experience. Highly recommended

Frankie Flowers | 4/5 |