Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (3 -

PETER GABRIEL (3 - "MELT")

Peter Gabriel

Starhammer
5 stars The Story Teller's Master Stroke...

The third self-titled Peter Gabriel release which also features ex-bandmate Phil Collins on several of the tracks.

The Good: I've never been much of a lyrics person, especially in prog. Whilst I do appreciate the importance of the role they play, I usually just see them as either a sufficient addition or a subpar distraction. Every so often the words to a particular song will come along and grab my attention but it is vary rare indeed that this will happen in the case of a whole album. In this respect Peter Gabriel's "Melt" is nothing short of a masterpiece with each track showing a unique approach, ranging from the epic transitional narrative of Family Snapshot to the more minimalistic, but equally powerful, Lead a Normal Life.

The music itself is amongst some of the best Gabriel has ever written and both compliments and emphasizes the lyrical content. The dark and twisted album opener Intruder is also considered a pioneering example the of the gated drum technique. The overall sound of the recording is very experimental and also contains strong World Music influences, most noticeably on the tribute to anti-apartheid activist Steven Biko. Like its predecessors, "Melt" also features outstanding contributions from Tony Levin and Robert Fripp.

The Bad: Whilst there are absolutely no weak tracks on this release, my least favourite is actually the hit single Games Without Frontiers.

The Verdict: If Peter Gabriel was ever put on trial, charged with being a musical genius, then this would certainly be Exhibit A.

Starhammer | 5/5 |