Wobbler - Rites At Dawn CD (album) cover

RITES AT DAWN

Wobbler

Moonstone
3 stars I have been a fan since their debut album "Hinterland" came out, which I loved instantly. The same with "Afterglow", though I think it's not as good as the debut.

So my hopes were high when I learned that Wobbler was going to release another abum called "Rites at Dawn"!

But I am disapointed.

I have listened to it over & over about 30-40 times, and I like what I hear, but the melodies dont stick and are uninteresting & directionless. Mutch of what I loved about them is gone, and instead they are trying to be Yes. Their previous efforts sounded more like King Crimson & ELP, but that's almost completely gone.

A good thing that the analog keyboards are still there, but they are a lot more in the background than on their previous albums, and there is a lot more singing than before.

"The River" is for me the most interesting track on the album, it actually sounds good and it's got a lot of emotion, but the harmony singing near the end sounds too mutch like Yes for me.

What your'e ending up with is a Yes-clone. I love Yes, but I'm not comfortable with Wobbler trying to BE Yes. I just want them to sound like Wobbler.

A disappointment..