Grails - Deep Politics CD (album) cover

DEEP POLITICS

Grails

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Mellotron Storm
4 stars Maybe it's the abundance of cloudy and rainy weather that these guys have lived with in Portland, Oregon that has caused them to create such a bleak and atmospheric albim. Ambient and dark with mellotron, strings and sparse piano often helping to create that melancholic mood.This reminds me of the atmospheric side of Experimental / Post-Metal a lot if only there were more Metal outbreaks. So yeah these guys blur the lines between Psychedelic / Space Rock, Post-Rock and Experimental / Post-Metal. Cinematic is a word thrown around a lot with regards to this album and I did think of ULVER's "Perdition City" while listening to this work a few times.

"Future Primitive" opens sounding like a slow moving mechanical beast. It starts to pick up before 2 minutes then it turns heavier at 3 minutes. "All The Colors Of The Dark" has these dark piano lines with drums before guitar and atmosphere joins in before a minute. It settles right down then picks back up as contrasts continue. "Corridors Of Power" features percussion and bass in a dark atmosphere.

"Deep Poiltics" opens with piano and kicks in and picks up after 2 minutes as strings and drums are added to the piano. It turns chaotic after 4 1/2 minutes then settles back. "Daughters Of Bilitis" has an interesting soundscape with percussion, piano, guitar and other sparse sounds. "Almost Grew My Hair" is a terrible title but then i've had longish hair since I was 19 (haha).The sound builds with vocal melodies and strummed guitar.The vocals stop as drums and other sounds join in. Some heavy outbursts after 5 minutes. It's building again before 7 minutes.

"I Led Three Lives" is my favourite. It's dark and atmospheric. We get a beat after a minute. Intricate guitar before 2 1/2 minutes. It's building. "Deep Snow" has this laid back intricate guitar to start then it gets fuller 1 1/2 minutes in. It then settles back with atmosphere as the intricate guitar continues. A calm after 3 1/2 minutes then it kicks in reminding me of THE TEA PARTY. It settles again with intricate sounds and atmosphere.

A solid 4 star album that pushes most of the right buttons for me.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |