Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium CD (album) cover

IN A FLESH AQUARIUM

Unexpect

Experimental/Post Metal

Starhammer
4 stars "...miiicroscopic DUST!"

Your worst nightmare. Brought to you courtesy of Leilindel and Messrs. SyriaK, Artagoth, ExoD, Le Bateleur, ChaotH and Landryx.

The Good: The first time I listened to this album I was blown away. The second time I listened I was indifferent. Then it lay on my shelf for a while gathering dust before I decided to give it another go after seeing these guys at Progressive Nation 2009. Two years later, after countless listens, I now consider it to be somewhere between excellent and a fully-fledged masterpiece.

Whilst there are lots of bands out their that try to make their compositions as 'mental' as humanly possible, a lot of them lack substance and just devolve into an unintelligible mess. Unexpect on the other hand successfully manage to blend crazy with coherent and intricate with interesting. Whilst it does take patience and concentration to fully appreciate, it's also well worth the effort.

In a Flesh Aquarium plays host to a whole menagerie of genres including death, thrash and prog metal, classical, opera, ambient, jazz, electro and gypsy music, somehow all blended together into sixty minutes of sheer musical panic. Despite all the brilliant moments of madness found throughout the album, for me the standout track is the intensely dark and ambient interlude, Silence 011010701.

The Bad: Definitely won't be everyone's couple of tea.

The Verdict: Mr. Bungle on acid.

Starhammer | 4/5 |