Credo - Against Reason CD (album) cover

Credo

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars A more credible release

My first acquaintance with Credo was with the live DVD This Is What We Do, released in 2009 and featuring a full live performance of the band in Poland in 2008. I enjoyed it, but I was hardly impressed. The DVD featured a live performance of the band's previous studio album Rhetoric in its entirety (though not in the same running order as on the studio CD) as well as a substantial number of tracks from their debut album Field Of Vision. I still haven't heard the studio versions of these two previous albums, but if the live versions are anything to go by, Credo has taken a significant step forward with Against Reason. Again judging from the live recording, Rhetoric was an album in the style that I would prefer to call "romantic" Prog. Good examples of this style are Fish-era Marillion (especially Misplaced Childhood) and Clive Nolan's Shadowland (especially Ring Of Roses). Both the lyrics and the vocals of the Rhetoric material were heavily in the style of Fish. Against Reason brings Credo closer to Arena in being darker and harder edged. The material is also stronger and more memorable both musically and lyrically, and there are lots of great instrumental workouts. While before I heard Against Reason I would recommend Credo only to those who already have a special interest in classic British Neo-Prog, the present album merits a (slightly) wider audience.

As I pointed out in my review of the This Is What We Do DVD, Credo is a British band that has a very long pre-history. Lead guitarist Tim Birrell and bass player Jim Murdoch have been playing together since as far back as the early 70's! It wasn't, however, until the early 90's that they adopted the name of Credo. Today they consist also of lead vocalist Marc Colton and keyboard player Mike Varty. Colton has a fine voice and does a very good job here, but it is Varty and Birrell that deliver the greatest musical moments.

There are three Credo studio albums to date including the present one and there seems to be widespread agreement on the improvements of each over the previous one. The music of the band is hardly very original or ground-breaking even on this new album, but I think it is fair to say that they deserve to be mentioned among groups such as IQ, Pendragon, Pallas and Arena and Against Reason would surely sit well in a collection that already holds the recent albums of these other bands. While not among the very best albums of the subgenre, and certainly not a masterpiece, Against Reason is a highly enjoyable release and worthy of four stars. It will please anyone with a taste for the style.

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |