The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium CD (album) cover

The Mars Volta

Alitare
4 stars De-Loused in the Comatorium ? 2003

12 ? Best Song: Inertiatic ESP

Mars Volta are a relatively newer band on the scene of modern progressive rock, but they've quickly made a huge name for themselves, winning all sorts of underground awards I don't pay attention to or happen to give a damn about. Initially I wrote them off as an indulgent 'art rock' group with a whiny and high pitched lead singer like Coheed and Cambria, only louder and faster with less distortion, but time came to pass and the handful of Coheed songs made me sick, but what I heard from this sucker kept popping back in my head so I came back to it.

It's strange in a way, but not so far removed from popular movements in 1970's pomp and 1990's hardcore to have no frame of reference for you fine people. The major factors are the bum's rush of instrumental breaks that could very well give you a hefty case of visceral whiplash, and the singing from a sloppy, but convincing young man that goes from a little high and whiny to very high and piercing. The riffs, they don't really exist, it's more of a variety of aural barrages in different tempos coming in headlong crashes between moments of quiescence.

'Inertiatic ESP' is blistering and the theme that gets pounded into your skull is bound to remain in there for a while. It IS a concept album, but I'll not be trifled with figuring it all out, there's too much for me to do in the day. 'Drunkship of Lanterns' is the notable epic, but I can't see why it's so good, it partly bores me. I much prefer the swaying blast and return of 'Eriatarka'. They might not have vision, or whatever you call it, and the latin rhythms can grow old on one's ears, but De- Loused is pretty exciting, and that's a specific trait these newer bands need to understand before they move on.

Alitare | 4/5 |