Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life.....  CD (album) cover

ON THE SUNDAY OF LIFE.....

Porcupine Tree

Alitare
2 stars On the Sunday of Life ? 1991

7 ? Best Song: Hymn? Don't ask me, this isn't fair

These are fellas (or should I say this is one fella) who truly adore their 1970's progressive rock and 1990's alternative - so much so that they'd try and make a career out of combining the two together, and it's a cold start with the ear-irritating pseudo-ambient moon crater rubbish 'Music for the Head'. I disagree with the title, it's properly music for the elevators (though from which company I'd never be able to venture a guess! Someone with a sadistic side?). One the Sunday of Life is raw, brittle, amateurish, and underdeveloped. The psychedelic elements are pathetic and act as little more than spaceship whooshes or star sparkles or loud and echoing synth swells. That singer guy is about as exciting as a limp noodle. I suggest he take a training course on emoting like something other than a frizzled machine. 'Third Eye Surfer' is rambling and disjointed, with incessant drum rolls and seemingly purposeless blips and blops all over the place. To make a long story short ? it's terribly messy. The songs are hollow and riding on the past successes of select ambient groups, yet Steve Wilson sings as if he's comprised of nuts and bolts. I don't see the purpose in completely divorcing yourself from the human condition. I don't mean artistically, I mean stylistically. Artistically this is a soggy mashed potato, but stylistically it belongs more in those NASA documentaries than it does inside my cd player. And for good reason, as I don't own a cd player.

It's childish with a self-destruction countdown a la Gong in the half-minute 'Message from a Self- Destructing Turnip'. Does that SOUND like something you could cry to? It's loud and full of holes, without any real subtlety. It all falls apart quickly after you start listening, and the sound effects would make Roger Waters weep in misery.

Alitare | 2/5 |