Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

Alitare
3 stars Stupid Dream ? 1999

10 ? Best Song: Piano Lessons

It's deeper, it's more moving, it's got a firmer grasp in realistic themes and probably what forged his attempt at furthering alternative rock of the band over the next couple years, but it does little to prevent me of accusing Steve Wilson of the crime of the century ? from the silvery, mechanically processed and sterilized album cover to the higher pitch to everything else, Steve Wilson's trying his hardest to be number one and create his own, superior version of OK Computer to cap the end of the decade. Yeah, he fails miserably. This ain't no OK Killer, it ain't no Soft Bulletin Killer ? hell it ain't even no Odelay Killer, at least in terms of personality.

But that's all up front. He's bearing his soul! What's in his soul? His piano playing abilities. I'd rather die than goddamn think 'Piano Lessons' is the be-all end-all to human resonance on this pitiful ball of mud we call Xygor-11. I think he even takes melody influences from Radiohead. 'Pure Narcotic' sounds like a portmanteau of Karma Police and No Surprises (complete with simple chords and a na´ve twinkling), oh I forgot that it is utterly devoid of what made those two songs so moving, like intense structure and individuality. Yet he bemoans his ill fate: "I'm sorry that I'm not like you. I'm sorry that I don't act like you". He's such a damn tool sometimes.

There's some groovy bass guitar playing, but little else is rapturous, if you catch my drift. I'm tempted to brand this a generic, if promising alt. rock release with little in the way of spiritual release and just walk away from it without being weighed down. 'Don't Hate Me' is a sloppy miniepic with average sounding saxophones and an irritating percussion section. Things improve over the second side, with the tight an brief wisp of 'Stranger by the Minute'. I wasn't inspired very much as a whole though, what else am I supposed to say?

Alitare | 3/5 |