Devin Townsend - Ghost (Devin Townsend Project) CD (album) cover

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

4 stars Devin Townsend's does a Mike Oldfield album. 8.5/10

I've been a fan of Devin's work since Ocean Machine, an amazing album with some great heavy stuff, as 'Seventh Wave', but also long atmospheric tracks, like 'Things beyond Things' and 'Death of Music', one of the greatest Post-Rock songs I ever listend. So when I heard Devin was going for a full album like that, I was really looking foward to!

Is impossible to listen to this album and not think of Mike Oldfield's 'Songs of Distant Earth'. Both share the same relaxed and meditacional "space" sound, whithout ever getting bored. It could be heard as a "background sound" album, but Devins production is second to none, and the album is meant to be heard at full volume, with the low, subtle instrumentation being the hidden gold of the record.

An amazing album that shows Devin's a great all-around composer, works best if listen from start to end, as the individual tracks doesn't stand off when compared to the complete work.

felipepepe | 4/5 |