Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (3 -

PETER GABRIEL (3 - "MELT")

Peter Gabriel

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
3 stars Also refferred as "melt" (as the first four album had no titles at all - or numbers either), this album is the real start of Peter Gabriel's commercial success. I remember Michael Rutherford being quoted in the press as the album that finally justified his leaving Genesis. Since this album is hardly my favorite , I will leave Mr. Rutherford up to his judgment.

The first album where The Gabe actually really shows his interests in World Music. He will create Womad , that will quickly become bankrupt and have his old Genesis pals reform just for one concert. outside of the two megahits I Don't Remember and Games Without Frontier , obvious atempts at commercial success, the rest of this album is relatively easily accessible especially compared to his somber second solo adventure.

I found this album relatively uninteresting on a progressive note as from the opening track Intruder (maybe my fave on this album ) until the secondlast track Normal life , we deal with a sophisticated pop with many interesting twists , but nothing exhilarating for the average prohead unless he is an unconditional fan. The last track Biko (which I find rather over-long) is a poignant cry of freedom to Stephen Biko a martyr in his fight against apartheid in South Africa.

Hardly his most essential album as far as progheads are concerned.

Sean Trane | 3/5 |