Phideaux - Snowtorch CD (album) cover

SNOWTORCH

Phideaux

voliveira
3 stars Having been hailed as one of the best albums of 2011 (and possibly going to take this classification for a long time), "Snowtorch" caught my attention as I had heard many positive comments about Phideaux.

I do not like it.I loved the beginning, but now I think that record pales next to the magnificence of "Doomsday Afternoon" (which is growing on me) or "Chupacabras" (which I love since the first time I heard). The truth is that although "Snowtorch" was my introduction to Phideaux, decided to postpone my comment about it for a long time because I had not heard the second part of the title track.

And that was a wise decision.Phideaux intended to show a different facet in each of his albums,but I am impressed with what he has to show here.The sound is cold and technical, away from the side of passion-and maybe why so artistic-that he demonstrated in his previous productions.Even the central epic of the album, the title track "Snowtorch" is irregular and dubious to me now,although I loved the first part at the beginning.She definitely has the strength of a song like "Chupacabras", but it is much better than "Micro Softdeathstar" or "Microdeath Softstar."

If "Snowtorch" was composed only of its title song, I would not hesitate to give you something.But here's two more songs-"Helix" and "..."( yes, it's an untitled song) - which I categorize as "fillers" (unnecessary songs).They are perhaps the main reasons why I do not like this album so much.

4 star: Snowtorch pt.1

3 star: Helix, Snowtorch pt.2, ...

Average: 3.25