Fates Warning - Disconnected CD (album) cover

DISCONNECTED

Fates Warning

Sheavy
3 stars I am very picky when it comes to music, and within any given genre I tend to have different views for some reason on some albums that generally are held to be really good or bad. Unfortunately this album falls under the "the general populace thinks its an excellent album" category. I have to say not having heard anything from this band and deciding to pick an album that was highly rated on here, I really was not that impressed. It is not bad, but i can not seem to get all excited over it. I find myself liking the more mellower parts over the metal parts. They just do not go anywhere for me, I do not know why, but I find myself wanting the song to go back to one of the mellower/synthy parts. Some of the lyrics I do not like at all either, especially One and Pieces Of Me and to an extent So. I really wish they were more interesting, but the theme of being "Disconnected" from other people is a horse that is being beaten to much, by too many bands from almost every genre of music thinkable. The keyboards and the ambience goes along with this but the metal really does not for me. I would not really mind if there was only a song or two about this, but the whole album being about that is a bit much, and if it was presented differently i might like it more, but it do not care for it. It is not that it is dark that makes me not like it, but I really do not know but it annoys me on this album for some reason.

Anyhow, One and Pieces Of Me are the two songs on here that really make the difference between a 4 star and a 3 star album. They just do not seem to have much importance and they do not really do anything for me on the album. I unfortunately have to say that they are two star songs for me. So is a little better, I think lyrically it could have been better, and it drags a little longer than I wish, but it is decent with a nice beginning. Still Remains, Disconnected Pt. One and Two, and Something From Nothing are the best from this album. Still Remains I wish would have been more around the eleven/ten minute mark, but it has a lot of nice mellow, ambient parts, so it is pretty enjoyable, the same also goes for Something From Nothing with a beginning that I really like. The Disconnected tracks, however are my favorites from this album, I love the wailing guitar and it might have been this extremely good beginning that let me down more than I wish. Disconnected Pt. two is my favorite song off the album. I love that guitar and the ambient washings and rumblings, the piano and everything.

I have given this album try and try again, but it only makes me like the tracks I like from the first spin more and the tracks that I did not care for from the first spin less. It has two star moments and four star moments so, for me this falls on a It's-okay-but-not-great three.

Sheavy | 3/5 |