Hella - Hold Your Horse Is CD (album) cover

HOLD YOUR HORSE IS

Hella

Post Rock/Math rock

Sheavy
5 stars There is not a single song on this record that I dislike. It is without a doubt loud, abusive on the ears, and completely lacking any sense of melody, and time signatures have been thrown out the window. This album to me is one of the greatest new prog masterpieces out there in a "new" category of prog. I find this much better in terms of just about everything musically to almost every new Neo-Prog band out there.

Anyway, I am done with that little side track. The muscianship by Zach Hill on drums is just crazy. He could probably keep up with any time signature you could dream up. He is one of the most underrated drummers and i have never seen him talked about by any Prog website or anything that does not really pertain directly to Math Rock. Spencer Seim on guitar is also extremely skilled at the guitar, and his skill sometimes gets overshadowed by Zach's.

The music is very demanding to listen to and to play, but I have a wierd thing for avant music and similar. The playing is immaculate and spot. it is like they can read each others mind, and even though the music may be very dissonant, the drums always go with the guitar and never do they sound at odds with one another.

I have to say I was surprised that this album was not in the top Math/Post Rock rateted, and even more surprised that it did not have many reviews and that it's rating was fairly low.

Out the new forms of Prog out there this cd is really a must have and I would recommend to anyone.

Sheavy | 5/5 |