The Sea Nymphs - The Sea Nymphs CD (album) cover

THE SEA NYMPHS

The Sea Nymphs

Dobermensch
5 stars I'm so pleased to see this wonderful album added to the archives at last! Imagine the 'Cardiacs' but far more beautiful and atmospheric. Gone are the guitars, shouty vocals and manic tempo shifts.

William Drake takes centre stage with his superbly watery and sometimes reverbed piano and synths adding a rather folky and aquatic sound to the overall feel of 'The Sea Nymphs'.

Next to 'Sing to God' I think this is the best 'Cardiacs' album available. (Don't let the name fool you... The Sea Nymphs are basically the 'Cardiacs' under a different moniker).

Unfortunately you'll have a real hard time getting hold of this recording now. I bought mine in 1993 and have never seen another copy since...

Sometimes melancholic, occasionally beautiful but mostly dreamy (in a non cheesy way), and always engaging. I love his album to bits. I can understand why it didn't fall under the 'Cardiacs' umbrella - as it's very different in sound and feeling to their recordings, but in my opinion is every bit as good as their best releases. Tim Smith shows a side to his singing that I've not heard before or since. A voice that could, believe it or not, do beautiful things.

An exquisite little strange album that defies categorisation.

One of the prettiest, smoothest flowing recordings I've ever heard... LONG LIVE TIM!

Dobermensch | 5/5 |