Hella - The Devil Isn't Red CD (album) cover

THE DEVIL ISN'T RED

Hella

Post Rock/Math rock

Sheavy
3 stars Eh. Not as memorable as their first album.

While this album starts off superbly with Hello Great Architect of The Universe, which segues very nicely into the short but good Big Tim And The Kid, both these tracks show zach Hill and Spencer Seim doing what they do best and that is playing like there is no tommorrow. the Mother Could Be You is another good track, full of amazing drums and guitar work. Top Twenty Notes is just a bit more hectic feeling than all the previous tracks with its discordant guitar and manic drumming. This is followed by the first stumble by Hella, Brown Medal 2003, it is too electronic sounding for me, it is no where near as good as the first Brown Medal. The next song Suistyle is much better and sounds like that Hella that we all know. Let me skip to the song which really brings down this record for. That would be You DJ Parents. I really am not liking this sound of electronic 90's video game style here. It does not sound good at all to me. Except No Subs is the only electronic-y song that Hella have done that I can say I like.

Overall this album does present some new ideas, but I do not like these new ideas at all, and the other tracks are not up to par with their first , and their best release.

Sheavy | 3/5 |