Dead Can Dance - Into The Labyrinth   CD (album) cover

INTO THE LABYRINTH

Dead Can Dance

Prog Folk

Sheavy
4 stars A very interesting find for me.

As with a lot of my music i got this on a whim, because i thought I had heard the name somewhere before, and it looked better than anything else at my local libraries for-sale section.

Going into this with absolutely no expectations really helps the listener sometimes, and other times it does not. in this case, I would say it has helped me to like this album more than I would had i known what kind of music was on it.

Every track on here is inresting, and the music is divided between ethnic tracks, and folky-er tracks. Not very Prog Folk, but it is still of great interest to Prog fans. I really love Lisa Gerrad's lyrics. She has a amazing vooice that sucks the listener into whatever she is saying and the music. I especially love the acapella track, The Wind That Shakes The Barley. It is very captivating, and Lisa does a outstanding job on vocals here. Emmeleia is another standout track that is also acapella. It has Lisa and Brendan singing a very atmospheric and slightly creepy chant. I also like Brendan's The Carnival Is Over, which has some great synths and does not sound like anything else on the album. The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove is another favorite, with it's raga folk sound.

Overall, i was quite pleases with this album, and will have to look into other things from this band.

Sheavy | 4/5 |